In August 2016 Qantm IP acquired the specialist IP firms of Davies Collison Cave (DCC) and FPA and listed on the Australian Securities Exchange. With more than 135 highly qualified professionals and over 260 years combined history, DCC and FPA have a strong track record in providing IP services to a broad range of Australian and international clients, ranging from start-up technology businesses to Fortune 500 multinationals, public research institutions and universities.
In total the group has over 370 employees across major offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Singapore. The firms also represent clients directly in New Zealand and assist clients to secure and enforce IP rights across the world, through a network of trusted associates.
DCC provides patent and design, trade mark and legal services and has primary offices in located in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Singapore. DCC is one of Australia’s largest IP firms and traces its history back to the establishment of Collison & Co in 1879 (originally named Conigrave & Collison). The Melbourne office of Collison & Co was acquired by Les Davies in 1929 to form Davies & Collison which, by acquisition of the Sydney firm Arthur S Cave, became DCC in 1991.
FPA provides services in relation to patents and designs and has offices in Melbourne and Sydney. In 1988, the patent attorney practice which was to become FPA was formed within Freehill Hollingdale & Page. FPA began practising as a separate business unit within Freehill Hollingdale & Page in 1991. In 1994 the FPA partnership was established. It grew to seven partners before merging with another patent attorney firm, Carter Smith & Beadle, in 2000. Carter Smith & Beadle traces its origins back to 1890. In 2012, FPA adopted a separate management structure and entered into a formal relationship agreement with what is now Herbert Smith Freehills.
In the 2015 calendar year, the two firms in aggregate:
- filed the second largest number of Australian PCT applications by any group;
- filed the second largest number of Australian trade mark applications by any group;
- filed the second largest number of Australian patent applications by any group.