Patents and Designs
FPA supports its clients across all technologies in patents and designs in Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia. FPA’s clients include multi-nationals and listed companies, as well as Australia’s leading universities, research organisations and start-ups. Led by 11 Principals and 5 Senior Associates, FPA is supported by a group of patent attorneys, patent scientists, patent engineers and patent administrators.
FPA’s revenue is generated from services in relation to patents and designs for local clients, foreign corporates directly and clients referred by foreign patent firms requiring services in Australia and New Zealand.
For clients seeking to register patents or designs in respect of their own IP, FPA provides services across all stages of the patent and design lifecycles, comprising pre-filing, filing, prosecution and renewal. The types of services provided include:
- drafting patent specifications
- Australia – from filing to grant
- New Zealand – from filing to grant
- US, Europe, Asia and other jurisdictions
- actively prosecuting patent applications through to formal grant in Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia
- extensions of time and late filing of applications
- opposition proceedings
- maintaining a patent and renewals
- innovation patents
- infringement advice
- searching and freedom to operate opinions
- design registration
- enforceability and patent validity analysis
- strategic product line assessment
In 1988, the patent attorney practice which was to become FPA was formed within law firm Freehill Hollingdale & Page. FPA began practising as a separate business unit within Freehill Hollingdale & Page in 1991. It grew to seven partners before merging with another patent attorney firm, Carter Smith & Beadle, in 2000. Carter Smith & Beadle traces its own origins back to 1890. In 2012, Freehills Patent Attorneys separated from the Freehills partnership but continues to work closely with lawyers from Herbert Smith Freehills.
Clients have ranked both DCC and FPA as Tier 1 firms in the highly regarded Managing Intellectual Property Stars IP Stars Patent Firm Survey.
Visit the FPA Patent Attorneys website
FPA’s registered attorneys are bound by the Australian government’s Code of Conduct for attorneys.